Monday 2 May 2011

I am soooooo hot......

It's so hot. It's so frickin hot. I'm blaming my lack of posting (yeah I know I said a new post everyday) on this insanely insufferable heat. It has been consistently over 100 º everyday for the past 2 weeks. The only thing that makes it a little easier is the fact everyone around me tells the temperature using celsius and I suck at conversions, so I hear 40º and convince myself that it's actually quite chilly out. All day I try to figure how long I can go without moving. It's not that I won't sweat if I don't move, it's that I won't feel myself sweating on myself. I'm in a constant state of sticky grimy grossness. Can you tell I don't particularly like warm weather? I know what you're thinking. "Nina, why on earth would you go to INDIA in the SUMMER if you don't like the HEAT?" (Do you like how I put some of your words in all caps for emphasis?? You're welcome.) Well I heard April wouldn't be that bad, that the real heat starts in May.

I heard wrong. So now I feel hot and betrayed. Woe is me. Yesterday I got stuck on a city bus packed to capacity for about a half hour. My host sister turned to me and said (in that lovely broken Hindi-English) "Nina, you have so much sweat all over your body." Yep, I sure do.

Luckily Corinne Rose, a long-term volunteer at Sambhali, has discovered a surefire way to get to sleep at night. SO if you ever find yourself in India during the summer and without AC this is what you need to do to get to sleep at night (that is unless you like sweating out your body weight and lying listlessly at 3 in the morning). Take 1 sheet. Run it under some water. Turn on your fan (although chances are it's probably been on for at least an hour in an effort to cool down your room). Lie under damp sheet. This sheet will be bone dry in 2 hours tops.

Now I would recommend that this is done while wearing the least amount of clothes, but seeing as how I am staying with a very sweet Indian family I would not like to dishonor them by telling you the amount of clothing I wear while doing this. You'll just have to guess, or ask me when you see me. That being said I'm gonna go soak a sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment