Thursday 10 March 2011

planes, trains, and autorickshaws


After being on the move for quite a few days I have finally arrived to Jodhpur, the blue city, in Rajastahn. This is where I will be volunteering for the next 2 months with Sambhali Trust! My last day in Delhi involved some more sightseeing led by my very trustworthy and protective guide, Shafiq. Our day included a palm reading in which the first pronouncement was that I am very determined. After having some difficulty bending my thumb backwards Shafiq declared, “oh, you are very stubborn. It doesn’t matter what your parents tell you, when your mind’s made up, that’s it.” Yeah, no joke.
One of our stops was to the Lotus Temple house of worship, celebrating the Baha’i faith. This beautiful temple was built in 1986 in imitation of the lotus flower, and the Baha’i worshippers welcome folks from all over to visit the temple, as long as you take your shoes off and keep your mouth shut!
image
At the end of the day Shafiq and I made our way to the Old Delhi Train station where my overnight train to Delhi left at 8:55. A few words on Indian Rail travel. Firstly every guidebook and person you come across is going to tell you how necessary it is to experience traveling India by rail in order to really experience India. The second thing they’re going to say is how dangerous it is, especially, if you’re a foreigner, especially especially if you’re a female foreigner, especially especially especially if you’re a female foreigner traveling by yourself (and throw on top of that at night no less)… yeesh. So guarded with my chain, padlock, and trusty reporter Shafiq we waited for the Mandore Express to Jodhpur to arrive. As we waited in the train I tried many times to tell Shafiq I was fine, and that really he could go back to his hotel seeing as how he was literally falling asleep on his feet. “NO Nina! Even if your train does not leave until 11 o’clock, I will be here!” Luckily the train was running quite on time, so after introducing himself to my fellow passengers (a bunch of american high school girls on their way to a mission trip….oooo scary) with the charge that they look after me, Shafiq was on his way. But first he left me with the warning to not trust anyone, and to be safe. Somehow he didn’t see the irony in this, and it’s for this reason I am so grateful I am able to call this man my friend! 
The train was pretty uneventful, to be honest I got my best night of sleep since arriving! Next post will be about discovering my desert oasis, Durag Niwas, and the wonderful Sambhali Trust!
image

No comments:

Post a Comment